News Article
Tucson Police implement new policy on Property Damage Only Auto Accidents
In December of 2010, the Tucson Police Department implemented a new policy in which they will no longer respond to property-damage-only automobile accidents. This new policy specifically states that an officer will only respond to an accident if:

  • 1. A person is injured;
  • 2. One of the drivers is impaired; or
  • 3. The accident is blocking the road.
This change can complicate issues if you have been in a car accident in Tucson for several reasons:
  • 1. An automobile accident is a traumatic event that can cause significantly increased levels of adrenalin. This effect can mask the symptoms of an injury and you could be injured without even realizing it.
  • 2. Automobile accidents often cause a variety of soft tissue injuries. It is not uncommon for these injuries to take hours or even days to manifest.
  • 3. Traditionally, the police report is used by the insurance company to determine who was responsible for causing the collision. Without this documentation it becomes imperative that individuals involved in any automobile accident collect as much information as possible.
If you are involved in an accident where no one is injured and your vehicle can be moved off the roadway, make sure to obtain the following:
  • 1. All personal information from the other driver(s) including: Name, address, phone number and driverís license number and state of issuance.
  • 2. Insurance information from the other driver(s) including: Name of insurance company, policy number and expiration date of policy.
  • 3. The vehicle year, make and model, license plate number and state of issuance, and Vehicle Information Number. Also obtain the vehicle owner's name and address if it is different from the driver(s).
  • 4. It is also helpful to obtain the number of passengers in each vehicle, along with their names and phone numbers.
  • 5. Take photos of the scene of the accident as well as damage to the vehicles and/or damaged property.

For your convenience, we have created an Accident Check List that will be very beneficial if you ever find yourself involved in an automobile accident. We recommend that you print this out and keep a copy in your vehicle with your insurance and registration.

Also be aware that all parties involved in traffic collisions are required by Arizona law to provide the driver's name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle (ARS 28-663). Refusing to give this information or leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense.
Anyone involved in a property damage only accident within the City of Tucson, may report the accident in one of the following ways:
  • 1. In-person at any Tucson Police Department substation, during normal business hours.
  • 2. Online via the Tucson Police Department website
  • 3. Or, call 791-4444 to have a reporting form mailed to you.
Grabb & Durando - Tucson Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have been involved in ANY type of automobile accident, even if you donít think there was an injury, it is important that you call a personal injury attorney. The experienced lawyers at Grabb & Durando will be happy to talk with you about your automobile accident and inform you of all of your options. All consultations are free, even if you choose not to hire us, and there is never a fee unless we win your case.